I just read that during a Veteran’s Day service, being conducted by a Catholic church, they are going to recite “The Meaning of the Twelve Folds of Our Flag.” Having never heard of this I decided to do some investigation. Well, as I suspected, the worst was true.
It seems the traditional formal flag folding ceremony, which entails twelve folds of the flag culminating in a triangular shape with the just the stars showing, has been mysteriously imbued with religious significance, specifically Christianity.
Here is the recitation of “the meaning” of the twelve folds of the American flag:
- 1st fold of our American Flag is a symbol of life.
- 2nd fold is a symbol of our belief in the eternal life.
- 3rd fold is made in honor and remembrances of the Veterans who have departed their prospective ranks who gave a portion of their life for the defense of our country to attain peace throughout the world, not to have been in vain and shall never be forgotten.
- 4th fold represents our weaker nature; for as American citizens trusting in God, for it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in times of war for his divine guidance.
- 5th fold is a tribute to our country, for in the words of the immortal Stephen Decatur, “Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right, but it is still our country, right or wrong”.
- 6th fold of our flag represents where our hearts lie – and it is with our hearts that we pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of American, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
- 7th fold is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through these same armed forces that our country is protected and our flag protected against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our republic.
- 8th fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the Valley of the Shadow of Death, that we might see the light of the day, and this fold is made to honor a Mother, for whom it flies on Mother’s Day.
- 9th fold is a tribute to womanhood, for it has been through their faith, love, loyalty and devotion that the characters of men and who have made this country great have been molded.
- 10th fold is a tribute to fathers, for they too have given of their sons and daughters for the defense of our country since they were his first born.
- 11th fold of our Flag, for in the eyes of a Hebrew citizen, this represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, and glorifies in their eyes the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.
- 12th and final fold, for in the eyes of a Christian Citizen, this represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies in their eyes God the Father, God the son and God the Holy Ghost.
One might ask:
“Where in the Flag Code is this religiously infused script written?” It isn’t.
“When did Congress sanction this religious interpretation of a simple traditional flag folding ceremony?” It didn’t.
“Is it a tradition going back to some earlier time?” Nope.
“Is the military using this religious script at any official ceremonies?” No.
“Would governmental sanction of such an interpretation be a violation of the First Amendment Establishment Clause? Yep.
“Would this be offensive to any non-Jewish/ non-Christian veteran who fought for that flag and served their country?” YOU’RE DAMN SKIPPY IT IS!
So how is it that this totally fabricated and unauthorized infusion of religiosity into a wholly secular ritual is magically appearing? I have no idea. It seems theists must infect everything with their idiocy.
But I’ll say this: If I’m ever at a ceremony where my service as a veteran is being recognized and honored, and someone whips that inane, insulting and fraudulent crap out and starts to read it, they better have an armed guard… for verily defecation will hit the fan.
On November 11, please remember the vets, especially the fallen. Be grateful for their service and sacrifice. But don’t pray for them, it just insults their memory and nothing is there to hear it.