Unfortunately, much as devout Christians will hang tight to their beliefs even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, so too will some otherwise thinking people turn a blind eye, or deny, or just dismiss as a one off the madness that spews from the mouths of religious fanatic politicians.
So, I offer the following short quiz to my readers to prompt some introspection and aid some of their friends and relatives in assessing their own readiness to ride the band wagon of the insanely religious. Get ready, this won’t be pretty:
1. Name the Gubernatorial candidate and his party, who has declared his support for introducing Creationism into his state’s public schools if elected, and will refuse all federal aid for education for his state.
2. Name the state representative & his party who in the past two years introduced a bill that would require Creationism be discussed in science classes; and who supported a religious test for public school science teachers to keep atheist teachers out of the class room.
3. Name the state representative candidate & his party who declared that rebellious children should be put to death, per the Old Testament directive.
4. Name the state rep and his party, who proclaimed that slavery was “a blessing” to black people. And from the same state, the representative who proclaimed slavery couldn’t have been so bad since Jesus and Paul never condemned it.
5. Name the Congressman and his party who sits on the Science Committee who announced that evolutionary theory is “a lie from the pit of hell.” He also declared manmade global warming a conspiracy by certain members of the scientific community.
6. Name the pro-life, family values congressman and medical doctor, and his party, who opposes abortion even to save the life of the mother, but who insisted his mistress have an abortion to “save his marriage.”.
7. Name the ex-president and his party who proclaimed atheists “... aren’t patriots and maybe not even be Americans.”
8. Name the state representative and his party that has called for the death of homosexuals.
9 Name the national candidate and his party who believes that god and his wives lives on the planet Kolob; wears special underwear that protects him from evil; will himself someday be a god of his own planet; and who believes almost half the nation’s citizens are un-motivated self declared victims entitled to free food and free everything.
10. What do each of these politicians have in common?
1. Ovid Lamontagne (R- New Hampshire) Catholic
2.Gary Hopper (R- Weare,
3.Charles Fuqua (R – Arkansas) Baptist
5 Paul Broun (R- Georgia) Southern Baptist
6 Scott DesJarlais (R- Tennessee) Episcopalian
7 George H.W. Bush ( R ) Episcopalian
8 Rep. Andy Gipson (R-Mississippi) Christian
9 Willard “Mitt” Romney ( R ) Mormon
10. They are all Republicans and Christians, and represent only a very few of the many GOP politicians who share their perspectives.
I’m sure you were able to answer a few of these correctly. Certainly you could have guessed the party affiliations. But your score isn’t important. What’s important is your answer to the final two part question... and here it is:
11: A) How can any thinking person ignore these realities, which are just the tip of the madness iceberg, and cast their vote for the party that virtually exclusively attracts this kind of madness, this degree of incivility, these expressions of hate, hypocrisy and religious fanaticism that is counter to everything America stands for...then goes so far as to fund those campaigns and candidates?
11: B) How can any person of reason and reality vote for a party that attracts like a magnet the support of the least educated, most religiously deluded, homo-phobics, misogynists, and racists - in the hopes that this party has a magic bullet that will lift this nation magically out of its financial doldrums?
11:A&B- Because some unholy blend of self interest, cognitive dissonance, denial, and racism is not exclusively the purview of ignorant religious fanatics. And that’s the real national shame.
My guess is you got that last one right